Giant Trance Setup

Back in Oct 2008, after almost one year of reading up about the new Giant Trance, I finally decided to get myself one. I was very reluctant to get the complete bike due to the cost. In Singapore the Trance XO was selling for SGD5200 but in Taiwan, home of the Giant it cost SGD200 more. The complete Trance comes with great setup but I was not ready to give up my 05 XTR group set which I had spent money on the Giant NRS. So I headed to Tay Cycle in Singapore and got the frame itself for SGD2000.


The original Trance weighs amazingly 11.5kg but my whole setup was 12.5kg. Maybe it was due to the weigh of the rims. Currently I have Mavic 717. I prefer conventional 36 spokes rims as it will be easier to replace broken spokes. The Crossmax rim sure weighs lesser but cost twice as much.


As for the tries, the WTB Weirwolf DNA 2.1 had been giving confidence over the last few years. Back home with muddy terrain and riding over overgrown roots, it had prove itself with great traction. Before I came over to Taiwan I wanted to get another set but somehow both Singapore and Taiwan had stop importing them. I ended up ordering from REI for USD50. 5 yrs on these DNA tires and it had never given me a flat except for one time when I got nailed.


Orignal Trance XO Setup (My set up)
size XS (14.5), S (16), M (18), L 20), XL (22)
color Silver / Anodized
frame ALUXX SL Aluminum, 5.0" Maestro Suspension.
fork Fox 32 F120RL, 120mm travel (Fox 06 Talas RLC 130mm)
shock Fox Float RP23
handlebar Race Face Deus XC low rise, 31.8mm (Easton Monkeylite XC low rise)
stem Race Face Deus XC, 31.8mm (Easton EA70)
seatpost Race Face Deus XC, 350 x 30.9mm (Easton EA90)
saddle WTB Devo Carbon w/Ti rails (WTB Lazer)
pedals N/A (Crank Bro Eggbeater)
shifters Shimano XT Rapidfire (Shimano 05 XTR Dual Shifter)
front derailleur Shimano XT (Shimano 05 XTR)
rear derailleur Shimano XTR, top normal (Shimano 05 XTR)
brakes Avid Juicy 7, Disc 180F/160R (Shimano 05 XTR Dual Shifter)
levers Avid
cassette Shimano XT 11-34T, 9-speed (SRAM)
chain Shimano HG-73
cranks Race Face Deus XC, 22/32/44 (Shimano 05 XTR)
BB Race Face X Type, external (Shimano 05 XTR)
rims Mavic CrossMax ST (Mavic 717)
hubs Mavic CrossMax ST (Shimano 05 XTR)
spokes Mavic CrossMax ST (DT Swiss)
tires Kenda Nevegal, 26x2.1 folding (WTB Wierwoft DNA 2.1)
Overall with both from and back 5 inch travel and a high speed rocky terrain which I did yesterday had prove to be effective. I still need to setup on the compression and rebound alittle more for that terrain. Otherwise I am perfectly satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment