Solar FocusMio 31 vs Solio Magnesium

I happen to read up a blog from my friend "ak" and I came across this interesting product in Taiwan. I had owned the Solio Charger and I really like it as it fold into a clamp shell. But it seems the product from Solar Focus is more durable compare to Solio. I have not owned the Solio Magnesium edition but for sure my Solio Classic version will never be able to survive a crash test.



The lists below is a comparison from Solio range Magnesium edition and the Focus Solar Mio 31

Solio Magnesium edition

Max rated output 8 watts. Solar panel max output 0.85 watts (5.5 V 150mA). Rechargeable 3.7V 1800mAh Lithium Ion battery. Solar Dimensions 120 x 65 x 34 mm.
Weight: 179 g

Package include
o Charging Cable for iGo® tip system
o Female USB Cable (powers iPods and the original iPhone*)
o Connecting iGo mobile phone tips for Motorola, LG, Nokia, Samsung, Blackberry
oPencil
o Solio Draw String Hemp Pouch
o Universal Wall Adapter

Focus SolarMio


Power - 3.3 W (System) / 2.52 W (Solar)
Solar Panel Output - 6V; 420mA
Power Bank - 3.7V; 900 mAh Rechargeable Lithium Polymer
Output Voltage - 5V or 6V (Best)
Power Bank size - 100x48x19mm
Weight - ?? I dun think is pretty heavy. Based on the Solar Duo purse 140g, give and take should be below 300g


News from 2007 on Solar Focus... too bad is in Chinese but the video will show it all

My 2cents
Price
- the Focus Solar Mio 31 is cheaper
Durability - Focus SolarMio31 is batter
Size - Solio Magnesium is smaller
Weight - Solio Magnesium is lighter
Performance based on spec. - the Focus Solar Mio 31 will charge faster.
Power bank - Solio Magnesium is better with power bank of 1800mAh compare to 900mAh on the Focus Solar Mio 31. However the Focus Solar Mio 31 they offer an upgrade to 1800mAh power bank. Note the Focus Solar Mio uses Lithium Polymer which is a better battery compare to Lithium Ion.

Now that all is narrow down, the Focus Solar Mio 31 is cheaper, charge faster, more durable and has a better battery spec. If you are concern with the size and weight, Solio will be your handy choice.

2 comments:

  1. I have a solio and I think I am going to buy the mio. I have already broken my solio from a accidental 5 foot drop, not very durable and it hardly charges unless under direct alignment with the sun. The mio can charge even under low sun conditions which is great, unlike the solio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the SolarFocus Duo at REI last time I went back to the states. I've been placing it on my balcony and getting great results. Little did I know that the company headquarters are right up the street from my old house in Xi Zhi. Now I've moved to Zhu Wei, by Dan Shui, and I live in the 20th floor. Any idea where I can buy a small portable wind turbine that I can hang over the balcony?

    Did you know that Taiwan lies on the Tropic of Cancer? That means the sun points directly at Taiwan in the summer time. Almost no angle, compared to the US. I've been getting incredible charging results this summer, but am curious about how it will handle in the winter.

    Some questions. I've noticed lately that the panels and the power bank are getting really hot. Even the batteries feel really hot to the touch. I only leave it outside for 2 or 3 hours a day, max. Is this normal/safe for everything to be so hot?

    Also, I can charge my ipod pretty quickly. The green power bar on the ipod says the battery is full, but when I go to listen to it, the power drops really fast. What's that all about?

    Recently I decided to upgrade so I ordered the Brunton 6 watt panels. CIGS material and folds up, just like Solar Focus, but provides a lot more juice (+800 mA, 12v). Am waiting for delivery now (man, shipping is expensive!). I'm so happy that I've been able to keep my ipod off the grid for 3 months now! Can't wait to get my cell phone and digital camera off the grid with all the extra juice I'll be collecting.

    Any idea where in Taiwan I can buy golf cart batteries? I'd like to leave the Brunton panels outside all day, instead of putting them away everytime I go to work. I already have a charge controller and inverter. However, I just read the fine print and it said not to leave the Brunton panels outside all the time. Any ideas why?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete