Sanyo Travel Cooker RN-38NF



I got this travel cooker when I was constantly outstation. At times I would be out in no man's land for weeks and I was sick and tired of their local diet which is either bread or fries. Constantly eating out was also eating into my budget.

The great thing about having this cooker when travelling, if you are hungry in the night, you can whip out an instant noodle easily or make yourself a hot drink. When I was in India and ran out of drinking water, I use this cooker to boil water from the tap just to be on the safe side. The cooker comes with multiply voltage selector so that you are able to use in most countries and in also include a build in safety protection.

Now in Taiwan and since most of the campsites has an electrical outlet, I decided to make this little cooker part of my camping gears. It is very ideal for boiling water or cooking rice and you don't have to waste a drop of your liquefied butane fuel.

Specification
Size: 77 x 155 x 155 mm
Weight: 977 grams
Capacity: 1.3 Litres
Power Consumption: 120/ 240 V : 360 Watts, 200/ 240 V : 250 Watts
Power Source: 110-120 volts, 220-240 volts
Safety Features: 
Overheat prevention device
Circuit Breaker
Voltage selector
Voltage reset buttons

The Sanyo Travel Cooker comes with an aluminium non-stick pot, lid, plastic bowl and a selectable voltage heating element.


The aluminium pot has a foldable handle so that it does not take up packing space

the interior of the pot has a non-stick coating similar to electric rice cooker


the sprout at one corner which is convenient for right handed person 


bottom of the pot is grooved in so that it sit on the heating element to prevent the pot from topping over
(the burnt stain on the pot was not from the heating element, I have used a solid fuel with the pot and it stained the pot)

the heating element comes with 130cm wire and multi connection plug adaptor


the base of the heating element has a dual voltage selector switch and a circuit breaker 


the wire is coiled around the base of the heating element and it comes with a plug holder

the pot, bowl and heating element all nested nicely for packing


total weight of the travel cooker

weight of the heating element

The Sanyo Travel Cooker is one of the most compact travel cooker set around. It is very ideal for people who are frequently travelling to cities. With the internal safety protection, it is safe to use in any hotel room and you are not at the mercy of the hotel late night supper. My cooker set has seen action in Australia, Vietnam and India. Never did it once failed me. The only setback I find is the weight of the heating element but with the convience of cooking at any time, what more can I ask for. 

Update Mar 2011
I received few queries on how to cook rice with this cooker. Here's how I did it.
  • 1 cup of rice - sufficient for 2 people (our volume)
  • fill water to the L marking.
  • place pot on heating element and let it boil for 15mins (timing is important)
  • off the heating element and allow rice to self cook for another half hour
Another question was where did I bought it. I got it from Singapore and at that time it cost around SGD130.00. If you need one do let us know and we can make some arrangement with my friends back in Singapore. 



UPDATE Feb 2013
Currently it is very difficult to find this Sanyo Travel Cooker, there is a almost similar cooker selling for USD45.00. It comes with an Aluminium alloy non-stick pot, fork and spoon, pot lid, bowl and a heating element. If you are interested, you can find the product HERE




-->

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for the informative article, I'm sold on this unit..Unfortunately, I can seem to get my hands on one! Any purchasing info/assistance would be appreciated. Email Merriment89@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to purchase this cooker. You have convinced me that I need it! Thx. Michele2030@yahoo.com

      Delete
    2. Can it be used for frying eggs, fish or is it suitable only for boiling. Also can the hotplate be used alone for warming your hands etc. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I have this cooker, and LOVE IT! I travel for a commerical airline and I am able to cook ANYTHING in my hotel room. There is no termperature control, but I just unplug it when it gets too hot.

    The instructions say NO STIR FRYING - which I understand since it can get very hot. I would not recommend this for anything other than cooking.

    I have done fajitas, homemade soups, a mini-pot roast, and I bought a $2 one egg skillet and use that as well to "fry" meat, like a 6 oz. steak. I can lift the fry pan up very easily if the temperature gets too warm. It is light enough to put in my suitcase, and sturdy and large enough to cook for two. It comes with two different plugs for adaption and is 110/220 and I have used it in both currents with no problems.

    My only complaint is that it is very difficult to locate this item to purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to buy 2 this cookers and post to Hong Kong. Please contact me, thank you very much.
    Email: leungsauyi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking for this travel rice cooker..pls let me know where can I buy this product.
    Email me: annieho_ho@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plz let me know this product.plz email me intanli62061@yahoo.com.my to buy this product

    ReplyDelete
  6. pls let me know where I can buy this product. TQ.
    nawal@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry my e-mail is nawal12c@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mee too, do emails me, lanvine21@gmail.com, where n how to buy this traveler cooker, tq .... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love to have one too, I am in Singapore. May I know where you got it in Singapore? Can you give me the contact? My email address is cheweh007@hotmail.com, thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have one of these cookers. I just want to keep the pot. I want to sell the cooker. It works perfectly, and it will work with any other pot. rortle@hotmail.com Has instruction book, and two different plugs. Mine is automatic current detection, but looks exactly like the one in photos here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Problem: HP Printer not connecting to my laptop.
    I had an issue while connecting my 2 year old HP printer to my brother's laptop that I had borrowed for starting my own business. I used a quick google search to fix the problem but that did not help me.
    I then decided to get professional help to solve my problem. After having received many quotations from various companies, i decided to go ahead with Online Tech Repair (www.onlinetechrepairs.com).
    Reasons I chose them over the others:
    1) They were extremely friendly and patient with me during my initial discussions and responded promptly to my request.
    2) Their prices were extremely reasonable.
    3) They were ready and willing to walk me through the entire process step by step and were on call with me till i got it fixed.
    How did they do it
    1) They first asked me to state my problem clearly and asked me a few questions. This was done to detect any physical connectivity issues with the printer.
    2) After having answered this, they confirmed that the printer and the laptop were functioning correctly.
    3) They then, asked me if they could access my laptop remotely to troubleshoot the problem and fix it. I agreed.
    4) One of the tech support executives accessed my laptop and started troubleshooting.
    5) I sat back and watched as the tech support executive was navigating my laptop to spot the issue. The issue was fixed.
    6) I was told that it was due to an older version of the driver that had been installed.
    My Experience
    I loved the entire friendly conversation that took place with them. They understood my needs clearly and acted upon the solution immediately. Being a technical noob, i sometimes find it difficult to communicate with tech support teams. It was a very
    different experience with the guys at Online Tech Repairs. You can check out their website www.onlinetechrepairs.com or call them on 1-914-613-3786.
    Would definitely recommend this service to anyone who needs help fixing their computers.
    Thanks a ton guys. Great Job....!!

    ReplyDelete