Camelbak Reservoir Maintenance



I have been using Camelbak since 1995 and owned more than 10 of these bags. Some of it I bought for my kids. Over the years my biggest problem is maintaining the Camelbak reservoir. The reservoir would get moulded or you will get funny rubber taste in the water.

After searching the Internet for a solution and trying out all kind of ideas. I finally settled down with the easiest method of maintaining the Camelbak.
If the Camelbak starts to give funny taste in the water, I would add about 2 table spoon of salt in the half filled water in the reservoir. Close the lid and give a good shake. Let some salted water flow through the hose and after which close it and leave the bag for 2 to 3 hrs. The salt will then remove all the funny taste from the reservoir. Throw away the salted water and let some of it to flow through the reservoir hose then rinse one more time.

As for drying, previously I would blow up the reservoir and throw a paper towel to soak up the remaining water in the reservoir and leave for few days. Nowadays I do not air dry it anymore, simply take the whole reservoir and throw in the freezer. I found this method very effective and it eliminate the reservoir to expose to hot and humid weather and mould from growing during the storage.


The next time if you need to use it, just take out from the freezer and fill the reservoir again and out you go.I have use this method on my Platypus so it should be able to apply for all other brands.

On the Internet you will find people using bleach instead but I am not in favor of that idea unless the reservoir is moulded badly. Bleach will remove the mould but remember bleach is a chemical and it is hazardous if ingested or inhaled, if need to use, it should be used with care. Make sure you rinse properly.

Hope this helps

1 comment: