MSR Drangonfly Multi-Fuel Stove


This is one of my all time favourite stove. Previously I owned the MSR Whisperlite Internationale for 8years. I decided to switch to this stove because of it capability to simmer which is good for slow cooking. My initial intention of getting a multi-fuel stove was for my bike touring. I was never afraid that I will ran out of fuel for my stove. In such cases, I would just syphon petrol from my bike tank. Both of these stoves are able to use various kind of fuel, from diesel, unleaded petrol, white gas and kerosene. Making them the ultimate stove for world travelling.

The package comes with a stove, fuel pump, wind shield, repair and maintenance kit and set of instruction in various languages.  The fuel pump is made of plastic but an upgrade version from the first stove I had before, it felt more durable and the flow valve had change to brass material.









The MSR Dragonfly stove does not come with a fuel bottle so you will need to purchase a separate bottle for the stove. The fuel bottles are made of aluminium and they come in various sizes 11fl. oz., 20fl. oz. and 30fl. oz. A 100g of fuel would burn around 25 to 30mins. A big bottle of fuel 30fl. oz. (892g) would give you an estimated continuous burning time of 24 to 30hrs depending on flame setting. Given 1 hour of usage a day, you can go on almost 3 weeks with just one big bottle of fuel. 100g of fuel would burn 6 to 7L of water thus a 30fl. oz bottle could boils almost 50lts of water. This calculation is just an average and it still depends on the fuel type and flame setting.

Gasoline wights around 728g/L
1US fluid ounce = 29.57g


I hardly use the repair and maintenance kit. The kit comes tools for opening various part of the fuel pump and stove, a exchangeable jet nozzle for use on different fuel. I have added few items like a small brush to clean the carbon deposit. Basically with this kit you can strip the whole stove kit. To give you an idea on the  maintenance of this stove, you can view here from another fellow blogger.






The setback on using multi-fuel stove is that they are more bulkier, heavier, expensive, needs to clean the stove if you use low graded fuel and you will need to preheat the stove thus slow start up. However the one one condition this stove does best is it accept various kind of fuel. It is not the best environmentally friendly stove but it beats throwing away empty Butane canister otherwise you might want to consider a wood gas stove

1 comment: